Why is blackjack the best game to play at the casino? Unlike roulette you can directly influence how the game will play out. This is special. No other casino game allows you this much power over the outcome of the game. It is no wonder that it is the favorite among professional gamblers, and countless books have been written about it. Blackjack is the most researched casino game in the world and for good reason. Blackjack actually has a system for winning. Think you know the system? Try it out now at Golden Riviera Casino.
There are two things you need to do in order to start winning at blackjack. First learn the basic strategy, which is a set of rules you need to memorize and never deviate from because they are optimized for the best possible play. The basic strategy will pretty much even out the odds between you and the casino, reducing the house edge to a sliver of 1% or so. The second thing is learn to count cards. It is perfectly legal and if you become adept at it, you will essentially eliminate any advantage the house might still have. The game becomes one of even odds. You and the house have an equal chance of winning. In a casino environment this type of advantage is only available to the most skilled players of blackjack. Are you the most skilled? Prove it.
The most efficient way to internalize the basic strategy is to print out a reference, available via the most rudimentary internet search and play online from the comfort of your home. This way you will be able to take your time and understand how and why you are doing everything the chart tells you to do. You won’t be bothering other players in the process and you won’t have prying eyes on you.
The way it works is as follows:
- Split Ace Pairs. As soon as you’re dealt a pair of aces, the best thing to do with them is to split them. They are versatile because they can be worth a 1 or an 11, which can either help you win with a dealt 10 or prevent you from busting as you’re trying to get close to 21. The casino will only allow you to hit once on split aces, but this is one of the best wagers you can make.
- Split Eight Pairs. The reasoning here is that a 16 is not so great, but has a high risk of busting. Thus splitting them is like having two fresh, and better, hands.
- Dealer Shows 2 to 7 then you split pairs of 2, 3, 6, 7, or 9. This is different stil from the reasoning of splitting 8s. It is a wager based on the likelihood of the dealer busting.
- Never split 9 pairs unless the dealer is showing a low card. At any other time, 9 pairs are to be kept intact with the excellent value of 18.
- Never split pairs of 4, 5, or 10. These are overall bad options that should be avoided. Especially with pairs of 10, which almost always yield a win.
- Only hit on an ace if you have a low card: 2 to 6. If you have a 7 and above, stick to the hard ace. 18 is a good value to stand on. If you have an ace and a ten you have an automatic win.
- Any time your hand totals 11 or under, it is a good idea to hit. It’s not possible to bust out on such a small number. Your hand will only improve if you hit.
- ands of 12 to 16 are unfortunate, and constitute the gray zone of the Simple Strategy. It is best to just use intuition. Most likely these are lost hands. If you win, then consider yourself lucky and keep playing. Mr Green may be the best place to start off and place your bets!
- If your hand is 17 to 21 then stand. These are strong hands that should not be tampered with.